Process Development Services
Focusing on optimisation of your bioprocess
Working with us you can expect extensive up- and downstream process development expertise shaped by multidisciplinary projects. We find the most appropriate cell line for your recombinant protein, optimize productivity, and establish a high-yield purification process while constantly monitoring quality. To achieve this, we use a broad portfolio of analytical methods, acquired over years on miscellaneous proteins.
Our Core Competencies in Process Development Services:
- USP and DSP – Bioprocess development services ready for tech-transfer and scale-up to pilot and production level
- Bioprocess engineering and optimization of existing processes
- Considering purity demands in accordance with GMP/ICH guidelines and control strategy implementation
- Application of design of experiment (DoE), robustness tests
- Formulation development
- Stability studies under R&D
- Development of analytical assays
- Protein modification
Upstream Process Development
Upstream process development at FyoniBio offers biotechnological contract research and development based on mammalian cell culture systems (GlycoExpress®, CHOnamite®).
Besides stand-alone fed-batch and perfusion process development we develop intensified fed-batch processes.
We are equipped with state-of-the-art bioreactor technologies from 5 ml to 10 L reactor volume:
- Clone screening at 10-15 mL scale in batch, fed-batch or perfusion mode (Sartorius Ambr 15)
- Upstream process development and optimization at 12 mL-10 L scale for batch, fed-batch, intensified fed-batch or perfusion (Xcell™ ATF or Centritech®) operation
Over all stages of process development, we offer to include our analytical department for in depth quality determination of products and intermediates. Trust our experience in tech transfer to US and European GMP facilities to move your protein forward once the process is complete:
- Track record of successful process development for mAbs (including defucosylatad Abs), bispecifics / antibody fragments / fusion proteins, enzymes / hormones, blood factors and other glyco-optimized or difficult-to-express proteins
- High yield expression combined with high reproducibility and scalability
Using a Perfusion Process in GEX® for Consistent Quality of your Product
Monitoring of viable cell density and productivity showed highly comparable results using different separation devices thereby underlining process consistency.
Long term stability of glycan profil was detected for a low fucose optimized mAb and a non-optimized mAb. Data was obtained from 1000 L working volume runs at GMP facility.
Process Optimization – Case Study
Customer case study of a fed-batch process aiming for increasing process productivity while improving unwanted glycan content on protein. Excerpt from 48 simultaneous bioreactor runs at 15mL final volume.
Downstream Process Development
During development of downstream processes (DSP) structural and functional parameters of your recombinant protein must be retained while simultaneously all potential impurities are removed.
We perform method development for protein purification processes including
- Chromatographic purification development (capture, polishing) including e.g.
- Ion exchange
- Hydrophobic interaction
- Mixed mode
- Filtration, buffer exchange and concentrating (cell separation and TFF/diafiltration development)
As a result we achieve a robust and efficient process for the removal of host cell proteins (HCP), culture medium components, and host cell DNA as critical process related impurities.
Special emphasis is given on the prevention of protein aggregation and fragmentation which might occur during production and purification.
Development of Analytical Methods
A broad spectrum of analytical methods is available to monitor the product quality resulting from up- and downstream processes including:
- HPLC (e.g., SEC, WCX, WAX, RP, HIC)
- ELISA, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, IEF
- Protein-specific functional assays (activation, clotting, binding etc.)
Additionally, FyoniBio offers a comprehensive portfolio of methods to characterize your protein, e.g., affinity, post translational modifications (PTMs), N- and O-glycans. Of course, every assay is customized or can be newly developed from scratch.
Formulation Development as a Part of Process Development Services at FyoniBio
During long-term storage of proteins, degradation or loss of functionality can occur. Most prominent reasons are aggregation, fragmentation, deamidation and oxidation.
FyoniBio uses accelerated stress studies for liquid or lyophilized storage buffers to optimize the stability of your protein. As additional tool we use buffer screening by the means of changes in intrinsic or dye fluorescence.
Do you need modified proteins? We conjugate your molecule with toxins (ADC), streptavidin, biotin, fluorescent label or else. Or do you want to create your own affinity chromatography matrix? We couple your protein to NHS-activated resin or magnetic beads.
Need more information about our Process Development Services?
Process Development Services at FyoniBio – Downloads
UPS & DPS process development flyer